Monday, May 24, 2010

A Mom with a Hook

My mother was my role model as far as sewing, knitting, and crocheting.  Most evenings after supper clean-up, my mother would sit and knit while my father and I watched television.  I loved to see the items develop. She would turn a string into these amazing sweaters, blankets, hats, and mittens that would keep me, my siblings, my father, and our friends and neighbors warm all winter long.  This was just one of her amazing mom superpowers that convinced me that moms could do anything and everything!

In my teens, Mom taught me to sew, knit and crochet.  What I learned was that, with practice, patience, perseverance, and an open mind, I could make just about anything made of fabric or yarn on my own.  I also learned how to measure accurately, how to reason through how something is made, and how parts fit together.  These skills have served me well throughout my life.

Crocheting started out for me as a decorative art.  I began with doilies and table runners made with number 10 cotton thread.  Though I loved crocheting, I became more interested in knitting after awhile because I could make sweaters to wear - even though I don't think I ever finished one!  I stopped doing either needlecraft in high school and college because studies and social interests took over...  Every now and then, though, I'd pull out my skills to make a small gift for someone here or there.

Once my children had begun sleeping through the night, i.e., when I was thoroughly trained as an insomniac, I found I loved having that magical quiet time late at night to myself.  However, I needed a quiet activity (for heavens sake, DON'T wake them up!) that would help settle my thoughts - and keep me from eating unhealthy amounts of snack foods!  So I picked up crocheting again with a passion, which led to an overstock of stuff, which led to thoughts of selling my stuff.  Thus, my Etsy shop (http://www.thecraftynaturelady.etsy.com/) was born.

Very soon after I opened my online shop, I noticed the profusion of plastic bags handed out at our local farmer's market, and became determined to sell reusable market bags there in an effort to reduce plastic bag use.  This summer will be my first attempt to sell my bags at said farmer's market, along with other durable household goods that can replace disposable options.  I'm also working to incorporate as much local, organic, upcycled, recycled, and otherwise earth-friendly materials in my products as possible. 

And here I am today... happily a compulsive, late-night, sleep-deprived crocheting Mom!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice story. I wake up nites too. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great adventure! Do you use lighted crochet hooks at night? I do so I don't wake up my husband :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of crocheting, I seem to be reading crochet stories at night! Good luck on selling at the farmer's market - your bags are just what they need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand needing that magical quiet time! I hope you sell a LOT of bags at your Farmer's Market. We need more reusable bags!
    Loose Threads

    ReplyDelete