Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's in a Name?

I've been thinking a lot about names over the past few months, particulary business names, because I have wanted to change my business name to reflect my vision for its future.  Names are so important! Did I want to be jingly or catchy, or use my own name as the business identity? Did I want to incorporate crochet in the name or other descriptive words?  I certainly didn't want to sack my "baby" with a name that others might make find insulting, flippant or amateurish, or, dear me, easy to convolute into some derogatory variation.  Being primarily a hooker, the possibilities were endless!

I tried out a lot of ideas before making a final decision, but it's a new year and time for a change, so I've chosen Linda Gibbs Handmade (no more crafty nature lady, although the moniker will always fit :D).  The new business name will allow me to continue to evolve with handmade items in many directions, continuing with crochet and possibly expanding to include beading, sewing or other fun pursuits that catch my fancy.  As the business grows and my need to employ other handcrafters and designers emerges, I can still keep this name and be true to my passion.  So Linda Gibbs Handmade I am!  Now to change all those links... 

Have you run across any interesting shop names lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment